About Steam 97 Excel Add-In
The Steam97 Excel Add-In library calculates 30 thermodynamic and transport properties of water and steam in SI and English units.
It allows 16 different combinations of input variables to be used for calculations.
Input variables that can be used are:
- Internal energy
- Steam quality
The library is fully integrated in Excel, and available functions can be used in the same way as any other Excel function.
Main features of the library:
- Professional quality, industrial strength software
- Based on the international standard formulation
- Accurate and thoroughly tested
- Developed in C++ for maximum speed
- Extend the library with User Defined Functions (UDF)
- Call Steam97 functions from VBA (samples are included in the release version)
- Easy to install and easy to use
- For installation and use of the library no administrator rights required
- After installation no computer restart required
- One year free technical support
The following figure shows a sample spreadsheet included in the download package.
Steam97 Excel Add-In - Sample calculations in Excel
The library uses new industrial formulation for steam tables, called "IAPWS Industrial Formulation 1997 for the Thermodynamic Properties of Water and Steam (IAPWS-IF97)", and replaces the previous industrial formulation for steam tables, IFC-67.
IAPWS-IF97 improves significantly both accuracy and speed of the calculation of the thermodynamic properties compared with the old formulation.
For transport properties calculations are based on the latest internationally accepted equations also available from IAPWS.
NOTE:The Steam97 Excel Add-In libraries cannot be shipped to a third party as a part of your VBA application. If you need a royalty free library please refer to the Steam97 ActiveX DLL.
Operating system Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10.
Excel 2003 / 2007 / 2010 (32 bit & 64 bit) / 2013 (32 bit & 64 bit) / 2016 (32 bit & 64 bit).
Installation and use of the library requires standard user privileges or better.
The following functions are available in the Steam97 Excel Add-In:
|Function List in SI and E units - Steam97 Excel Add-In v3.1|
| #|| Function Name|
| Function Name|
| Valid in|
| 1|| SatPXsi|| SatPXe|| p|| x|| propertyID|| saturation|
| 2|| SatTXsi|| SatTXe|| t|| x|| propertyID|| saturation|
| 3|| SteamPTsi|| SteamPTe|| p|| t|| propertyID|| all|
| 4|| SteamPHsi|| SteamPHe|| p|| h|| propertyID|| all|
| 5|| SteamPSsi|| SteamPSe|| p|| s|| propertyID|| all|
| 6|| SteamPUsi|| SteamPUe|| p|| u|| propertyID|| all|
| 7|| SteamPVsi|| SteamPVe|| p|| v|| propertyID|| all|
| 8|| SteamTHsi|| SteamTHe|| t|| h|| propertyID|| all|
| 9|| SteamTSsi|| SteamTSe|| t|| s|| propertyID|| all|
| 10|| SteamTUsi|| SteamTUe|| t|| u|| propertyID|| all|
| 11|| SteamTVsi|| SteamTVe|| t|| v|| propertyID|| all|
| 12|| SteamHSsi|| SteamHSe|| h|| s|| propertyID|| all|
| 13|| SteamHVsi|| SteamHVe|| h|| v|| propertyID|| all|
| 14|| SteamUSsi|| SteamUSe|| u|| s|| propertyID|| all|
| 15|| SteamUVsi|| SteamUVe|| u|| v|| propertyID|| all|
| 16|| SteamVSsi|| SteamVSe|| v|| s|| propertyID|| all|
- "all" means valid in all 5 regions as defined by the IAPWS-IF97, see the diagram at the bottom of the page.
- The third argument "propertyID" specifies which property to calculate, see the "Steam Properties" table below.
- Since "propertyID" is string type it must be enclosed in quotes, see an example below.
To download a list of all available functions in the PDF format, switch to the "Downloads" tab and go to a section "Quick reference documents".
In order to easily identify functions to be used, function names are formated using the following rules:
- Functions applicable only in the saturation region, as defined by the IAPWS-IF97, start with Sat
- Functions applicable in all regions, as defined by the IAPWS-IF97, start with Steam
- Next follow two capital letters denoting the first and the second input parameters of a function, for example PT stands for pressure and temperature respectively
- Function names ending with si mark functions to be used for calculations in SI Units
- Function names ending with e mark functions to be used for calculations in English Units
To calculate specific heat in SI Units in any of the regions as defined by the IAPWS-IF97 based on available enthalpy and entropy as input, use the following:
- 1 h = 51.2 kJ/kg
- 2 s = 0.15 kJ/(kg·K)
- 3 the third argument is a string which specifies the property to be calculated by suppling the appropriate propertyID
See values of propertyIDs in the Steam Properties table below.
Based on the above provided description, the following should be entered into a cell or the formula bar:
=SteamHSsi(h, s, "cp")
The following thermodynamic and transport properties can be calculated with Steam97 Excel Add-In:
|Calculable properties in SI or E units - Steam97 Excel Add-In v3.1|
| #|| Property Name|| Property ID|| SI Units|| English Units|
| 1|| Pressure|| p|| bar|| psi|
| 2|| Temperature|| t|| °C|| °F|
| 3|| Density|| d|| kg ⁄ m³|| lb ⁄ ft³|
| 4|| Specific volume|| v|| m³ ⁄ kg|| ft³ ⁄ lb|
| 5|| Specific enthalpy|| h|| kJ ⁄ kg|| Btu ⁄ lb|
| 6|| Specific entropy|| s|| kJ ⁄ (kg•K)|| Btu ⁄ (lb•°F)|
| 7|| Specific internal energy|| u|| kJ ⁄ kg|| Btu ⁄ lb|
| 8|| Specific isobaric heat capacity|| cp|| kJ ⁄ (kg•K)|| Btu ⁄ (lb•°F)|
| 9|| Specific isochoric heat capacity|| cv|| kJ ⁄ (kg•K)|| Btu ⁄ (lb•°F)|
| 10|| Speed of sound|| w|| m ⁄ s|| ft ⁄ s|
| 11|| Isentropic exponent|| kapa|| -|| -|
| 12|| Specific Helmholtz free energy|| H|| kJ ⁄ kg|| Btu ⁄ lb|
| 13|| Specific Gibbs free energy|| G|| kJ ⁄ kg|| Btu ⁄ lb|
| 14|| Compressibility factor|| Z|| -|| -|
| 15|| Steam quality|| x|| %|| %|
| 16|| Region|| region|| -|| -|
| 17|| Isobaric volume expansion coefficient|| alpha|| 1 ⁄ K|| 1 ⁄°F|
| 18|| Isothermal compressibility|| Kt|| 1 ⁄ MPa|| 1 ⁄ psi|
| 19|| Partial derivative (dV/dT)p|| dvdt|| m³ ⁄ (kg•K)|| ft³⁄(lb•°F)|
| 20|| Partial derivative (dV/dP)T|| dvdp|| m³ ⁄ (kg•MPa)|| ft³ ⁄ (lb•psi)|
| 21|| Partial derivative (dP/dT)v|| dpdt|| MPa ⁄ K|| psi ⁄ °F|
| 22|| Partial derivative (dP/dV)T|| dpdv|| MPa•kg ⁄ m³|| psi•lb ⁄ ft³|
| 23|| Isothermal Joule-Thomson coefficient|| iJTC|| kJ ⁄ (kg•MPa)|| Btu ⁄ (lb•psi)|
| 24|| Joule-Thomson coefficient|| JTC|| K ⁄ MPa|| °F ⁄ psi|
| 25|| Dynamic viscosity|| dv|| µPa•s|| lb ⁄ (ft•h)|
| 26|| Kinematic viscosity|| kv|| mm² ⁄ s|| ft²/h|
| 27|| Thermal conductivity|| tc|| W ⁄ (K•m)|| Btu ⁄ (h•ft•°F)|
| 28|| Thermal diffusivity|| td|| mm² ⁄ s|| ft² ⁄ h|
| 29|| Prandtl number|| Pr|| -|| -|
| 30|| Surface tension|| Sigma|| mN ⁄ m|| lbf ⁄ ft|
To download a list of all available properties in the PDF format, switch to the "Downloads" tab and go to the section "Quick reference documents".
Range of Validity
The entire set of equations of the IAPWS-IF97, used by the library for calculation of thermodynamic properties, is defined by the following temperature and pressure range:
- 273.15 K <= T < = 1073.15 K p < = 100 MPa
- 1073.15 K < T < = 2273.15 K p < = 50 MPa
Fig.1 Steam table regions defined in the IAPWS-IF97
The following screenshots demonstrate how to use the library, it's a 4 step process.
1.(a) Start Excel and press the "Insert Function" toolbar button.
1.(b) Alternatively, start Excel and press the "Insert Function" menu item.
2. Select a Steam97 library (SI or English units).
3. Select a function and press the OK button.
4. Enter input parameters and press the OK button.
NOTE: You don't have to put quotes around the property ID, they are inserted automatically.
That's it, the result will be displayed in the selected cell.
Steam97 VBA Programming
The release version of the Steam97 Excel Add-In library contains "modCallFunction" module which provides VBA wrapper utility functions.
The utility function CallFunction makes it easy to call Steam97.xll functions from VBA. For more information please refer to the help file provided in both demo and release versions.
This excerpt from the code demonstrates how to calculate heat of evaporation for given saturation temperature.
- 'Calculate saturation pressure for given temperature
- ps = CallFunction("SatTXsi", t, xLiquid, "p")
- Worksheets("Heat of Evaporation").Cells(row, 2).Value = ps
- 'Calculate specific enthalpy of the liquid on the saturation line
- hLiquid = CallFunction("SatTXsi", t, xLiquid, "h")
- Worksheets("Heat of Evaporation").Cells(row, 3).Value = hLiquid
- 'Calculate specific enthalpy of the vapor on the saturation line
- hVapor = CallFunction("SatTXsi", t, xVapor, "h")
- Worksheets("Heat of Evaporation").Cells(row, 4).Value = hVapor
- 'Calculate heat of evaporation
- delta_h = hVapor - hLiquid
- Worksheets("Heat of Evaporation").Cells(row, 5).Value = delta_h
This excerpt from the code demonstrates how to calculate steam turbine efficiency.
- 'Calculate specific enthalpy
- hIn = CallFunction("SteamPTsi", pIn, tIn, "h")
- Worksheets("Steam Turbine").Cells(row, 3).Value = hIn
- 'Calculate specific entropy
- sIn = CallFunction("SteamPTsi", pIn, tIn, "s")
- Worksheets("Steam Turbine").Cells(row, 4).Value = sIn
- Worksheets("Steam Turbine").Cells(row, 5).Value = pOut
- Worksheets("Steam Turbine").Cells(row, 6).Value = tOut
- 'Calculate specific enthalpy
- hOut = CallFunction("SteamPTsi", pOut, tOut, "h")
- Worksheets("Steam Turbine").Cells(row, 7).Value = hOut
- 'Calculate specific enthalpy
- hs = CallFunction("SteamPSsi", pOut, sIn, "h")
- Worksheets("Steam Turbine").Cells(row, 8).Value = hs
- 'Calculate steam turbine efficiency
- eta = (hIn - hOut) / (hIn - hs) * 100
- Worksheets("Steam Turbine").Cells(row, 9).Value = eta
The setup program will automatically install the library in Excel.
To install the library successfully you must have at least standard user privileges on your computer.
Steam97 Excel Add-In library
For Excel 2003 / 2007 / 2010 (32 bit) / 2013 (32 bit) / 2016 (32 bit)
- Download Steam97 Excel Add-In version (3.1) - demo (32 bit)
Steam97 Excel Add-In library
For Excel 2010 (64 bit) / 2013 (64 bit) / 2016 (64 bit)
- Download Steam97 Excel Add-In version (3.1) - demo (64 bit)
You can also evaluate the Steam Tables library (based on IAPWS-IF97) online, visit Steam Tables Calculator web application. It uses the same calculation engine as the Steam97 Excel Add-In.
Quick reference documents
- List of available properties in Steam97 Excel Add-In
- List of available functions in Steam97 Excel Add-In
- logP-H diagram in SI units generated with Steam97 Excel Add-In
Prices subject to change without notice!
A license includes 32 bit and 64 bit version of the library.
|Steam97 Excel Add-In version 3.1|
|1-4 licenses||USD 249.95 per copy|
|5-20 licenses||USD 224.95 per copy|
|21 > licenses||USD 199.95 per copy|
|Company wide license||USD 9995.00|
Each license also includes the following:
- One year free e-mail technical support
- One year free minor version updates if available (for example 3.2, 3.x up to, but not including version 4.0)
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact sales at:
For quick access to the Steam97 Excel Add-In, you may purchase and download our product using automated and secure online ordering system. After ordering, you will receive a notification mail with further instructions, your password (required during installation) and the retail version download location.
The Registration includes a free subscription program. Each Registered user will be receiving bug fixes and technical support for the registered version within one year.
Shipping by the postal mail is not available.
How to order
1. Internet ordering
Available ordering options (open an order form to select):
- Credit Card (Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, Discover®)
To buy a specific number of licenses for the Steam97 Excel Add-In click the button: or to purchase a Company Wide License contact sales at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Bank Direct Payment
If you prefer to pay for the product by "Bank Direct Payment", contact sales at: email@example.com.