About CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In
The CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In library calculates 34 thermodynamic and transport properties of carbon dioxide and also provides access to 8 constant properties used by the calculation engine.
It allows 11 different combinations of input variables to be used for calculations.
Input variables that can be used are:
- Internal energy
- Quality (vapor mass fraction)
The library is fully integrated in Excel, and available functions can be used in the same way as any other Excel function.
Main features of the library:
- Professional quality, industrial strength software
- Based on the most accurate formulation for CO2 available today
- Accurate and thoroughly tested
- Maximum accuracy at high temperatures and in the supercritical CO2 region
- Developed in C++ for maximum speed
- Fully integrated with Excel, no wrapper files needed to use the library
- Call CO2TablesSci functions from VBA
- Create User Defined Functions (UDF) which use CO2Tables functions
- Easy to install and easy to use
- For installation and use of the library no administrator rights required
- After installation no computer restart required
- One year free technical support
The following figure shows a sample spreadsheet included in the download package.
CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In - Sample calculations in Excel
For thermodynamic properties the library uses new equation of state for carbon dioxide, formulated in Helmholtz energy. It is intended to be used for scientific applications that require maximum accuracy. Equation of state was presented in:
- "A New Equation of State for Carbon Dioxide Covering the Fluid Region from the Triple-Point to 1100 K at Pressures up to 800 MPa" by R. Span and W. Wagner, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data, Vol. 25, No 6, 1996.
It is the most accurate formulation for thermodynamic properties of carbon dioxide available today. In the formulation the authors paid special attention on the description of the critical region and the extrapolation behavior of the formulation. The CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In has been extrapolated to cover high temperature region up to 1773.15 K and pressures up to 1000 MPa, to meet the requirements of the most demanding high temperature supercritical CO2 applications.
For transport properties the library uses equations presented in:
- "The Viscosity of Carbon Dioxide" by A. Fenghour, W. A. Wakeham and V. Vesovic, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data, Vol. 27, No 1, 1998
- "A Reference Multiparameter Thermal Conductivity Equation for Carbon Dioxide with an Optimized Functional Form" by G. Scalabrin, P. Marchi, and F. Finezzo and R. Span, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data, Vol. 35, No 4, 2006
Operating system Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 / Windows 10.
Excel 2003 / 2007 / 2010 (32 bit & 64 bit) / 2013 (32 bit & 64 bit) / 2016 (32 bit & 64 bit).
Installation and use of the library requires standard user privileges or better.
Carbone Dioxide Properties
The following thermodynamic and transport properties can be calculated with CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In:
|Calculable properties in SI or E units - CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In v2.0|
| 1|| Pressure|
| 2|| Temperature|
| 3|| Density|
| 4|| Specific volume|
| 5|| Specific enthalpy|
| 6|| Specific entropy|
| 7|| Specific internal energy|
| 8|| Specific isobaric heat capacity|
| 9|| Specific isochoric heat capacity|
| 10|| Speed of sound|
| 11|| Isentropic exponent|
| 12|| Specific Helmholtz free energy|
| 13|| Specific Gibbs free energy|
| 14|| Compressibility factor|
| 15|| Quality [vapor mass fraction]|
| 16|| Isobaric volume expansion coefficient|
| 17|| Isothermal compressibility|
| 18|| Partial derivative (dV/dT)p|
| 19|| Partial derivative (dV/dP)T|
| 20|| Partial derivative (dP/dT)v|
| 21|| Partial derivative (dP/dV)T|
| 22|| Isothermal Joule-Thomson coefficient|
| 23|| Joule-Thomson coefficient|
| 24|| Dynamic viscosity|
| 25|| Kinematic viscosity|
| 26|| Thermal conductivity|
| 27|| Thermal diffusivity|
| 28|| Prandtl number|
|Properties calculated by "Helper" functions|
| 29|| Saturation pressure|
| 30|| Saturation temperature|
| 31|| Melting pressure|
| 32|| Melting temperature|
| 33|| Sublimation pressure|
| 34|| Sublimation temperature|
|Constant properties provided|
| 35|| Specific gas constant|
| 36|| Molar gas constant|
| 37|| Molar mass|
| 38|| Critical temperature|
| 39|| Critical pressure|
| 40|| Critical density|
| 41|| Triple-point temperature|
| 42|| Triple-point pressure|
Range of Validity
The entire set of equations used by the CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In library, is defined by the following temperature and pressure range:
- 190 K < = T < = 1773.15 K
- 0 < p < = 1000 MPa
The reference state is set at:
- Reference temperature: T0 = 298.15 K
- Reference pressure: p0 = 0.101325 MPa
- Reference enthalpy in the ideal gas state at T0: h°0 = 0 kJ/kg
- Reference entropy in the ideal gas state at T0, p0: s°0 = 0 kJ/(kg·K)
The following screenshots demonstrate how to use the library, it's a 4 step process.
1.(a) Start Excel and press the "Insert Function" toolbar button.
1.(b) Alternatively, start Excel and press the "Insert Function" menu item.
2. Select a CO2TablesSci library (SI or English units).
3. Select a function and press the OK button.
4. Enter input parameters and press the OK button.
NOTE: You don't have to put quotes around the property ID, they are inserted automatically.
That's it, the result will be displayed in the selected cell.
The setup program will automatically install the library in Excel.
To install the library successfully you must have at least standard user privileges on your computer.
CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In library
For Excel 2003 / 2007 / 2010 (32 bit) / 2013 (32 bit) / 2016 (32 bit)
- Download CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In version (2.0) - demo (32 bit)
CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In library
For Excel 2010 (64 bit) / 2013 (64 bit) / 2016 (64 bit)
- Download CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In version (2.0) - demo (64 bit)
Quick reference documents
- List of available properties in CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In
- List of available functions in CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In
Prices subject to change without notice!
A license includes 32 bit and 64 bit version of the library.
|CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In version 2.0|
|1-4 licenses||USD 399.95 per copy|
|5-20 licenses||USD 349.95 per copy|
|21 > licenses||USD 324.95 per copy|
|Company wide license||USD 9995.00|
Each license also includes the following:
- One year free e-mail technical support
- One year free minor version updates if available (for example 2.1, 2.x up to, but not including version 3.0)
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact sales at:
For quick access to the CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In, you may purchase and download our product using automated and secure online ordering system. After ordering, you will receive a notification mail with further instructions, your password (required during installation) and the retail version download location.
The Registration includes a free subscription program. Each Registered user will be receiving bug fixes and technical support for the registered version within one year.
Shipping by the postal mail is not available.
How to order
1. Internet ordering
Available ordering options (open an order form to select):
- Credit Card (Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®, Discover®)
To buy a specific number of licenses for the CO2TablesSci Excel Add-In click the button: or to purchase a Company Wide License contact sales at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Bank Direct Payment
If you prefer to pay for the product by "Bank Direct Payment", contact sales at: email@example.com.